Tuesday 7 June 2011

The diary of a traveller, entry 15. Part 3 Irkutsk


15. November

Pretty good night’s sleep. Then a breakfast of freshly microwaved pancakes smothered in jam and, I think, yogurt.  After putting the packet in the microwave, pressing a button, waiting 40 seconds and then placing the plate on the table T. sat next to me, head in hands apparently in a state of utter exhaustion.  Shortly after this she cast me a glance as if she had just cooked a feast of epic proportions for me and that, frankly, спасибо wasn’t a sufficient enough response on my part. I think this family might be a little bit odd. They have caged birds in the kitchen, oil paintings of themselves in the living room where the television ought to be, and a piano which is “not for playing” I’m told. Ok.

Not an wholly successful day today truth be told. Spent the majority of the daylight walking through the city looking for a museum to the Decembrists which I’m convinced doesn’t exist whatever the guide book says. After that I gave up and headed to the art gallery instead which was closed despite Tuesday being their reported day-off and today being Wednesday. Then I had to leg it to the other side of town to get my visa registered before it was too late (even though I’m leaving the city tomorrow). The girl at the travel agents took pity on me as I was clearly looking a wee bit flustered and processed it for me in about an hour. Sputnik travel gets a big old tick from me. Decided to go and sit in the pub for a bit and read after that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment