Friday 26 August 2011

The diary of a traveller, entry 19. Novosibirsk and Akademgorodok


19. November

Bulk of the day was spent on a round trip visit to Akademgorodok and meeting with the Novosibirks State Uni Russian Language dept. Met the admissions tutor (who spoke better English than most people in England) and the Director of the dept. Both were very nice and I got a good impression about the Uni. Only issue is that it’s in the middle of nowhere but that could be a good thing for studies. They’re going to send me a test to gauge my grammar level (brilliant!).

Akademgorodok airphoto



Grabbed a quick meal of pelmeni before heading off the Opera and Ballet Theatre for Cinderella. People certainly smarten up for the theatre over here which is nice! Thankfully they still let me in despite looking like I was about to go hiking round the Lake District. Tried some Russian champagne before heading to find my seat. The ballet was good but didn’t bowl me over – remember seeing it before in Hong Kong and I wasn’t overly impressed then. Don’t get me wrong it was an awesome way to spend 9 pounds and the view and the Theatre it’s self were both awesome! And Cinderella was brilliant as was the evil step mother. Liked her a lot.

Last day in Novosibirsk tomorrow then on to Ekaterinburg. It’s been a really good few days – possibly my best stop so far.

(c) Richard Breeson

No comments:

Post a Comment