Friday 26 August 2011

The diary of a traveller, entry 20. Back on train again


20 November

Almost 3 weeks I’ve been in Russia now. Doesn’t feel that long at all. It’s been great so far! Certainly hasn’t been stressful at all but it’s not lounging around on a beach either. Novosibirsk is probably the first place I’ve visited I would like to live in. Went back to the art gallery again to see the permanent exhibition (I missed last time). Had a great display of photos submitted by people from all over Russia which was cool. Some kind of nation-wide competition I think. All the photos looked suspiciously professional to me – like they’d all been taken by people who had access to some really expensive kit. Indeed some of the captions said that they were in fact part of photo-shoots for magazines and suchlike. But there were some great shots there nevertheless. Like the ones of various protest marches and demonstrations.

Personal Note: don’t order hot chocolate in a café in Russia again. It is essentially a cup of melted chocolate you eat with a spoon and not the milky hot-drink I’m used to. Had a tasty колбаса (Russian sausage) for tea! Spicy with potatoes and cabbage. Good choice for my last proper meal before the train.

The Novosibirsk central station is a very attractive building.


 I guess they have renovated it recently based on the freshness of the paintwork. Biggest I’ve been to yet I think. Back on the train again now: #1 Rossiya which is the top end in terms of cost and smartness but that’s just because they’re newer trains I think. 


In fairness I don’t find this wagon anymore comfortable than any of the others I’ve been in. Just has more snazzy folding beds and compartments, thicker curtains and a TV tuned to show “Girl Who Played with a Dragon Tattoo” or whichever one it is. My companions are two middle aged gents who seem alright. Conversation hasn’t been particularly forthcoming as yet. Chiefly because I don’t speak Russian but also because I’m tired and can’t be bothered. 

photos are taken from Richard's archive
(c) Richard Breeson

No comments:

Post a Comment