Tuesday 6 December 2011

The diary of a traveller, entry 25. ' Different cultures and all that'


26. November

Such a nicer place to be staying than the last one! Irena washed and folded all my clothes and I don’t even think she will be charging me for this kindness (a la Irkutsk). Alena came by for breakfast and we had a nice brief, chat. Although I’m not really sure about this fad of serving plain pasta with a frankfurter for breakfast. But then again, different cultures and all that. Had a chat with Yuri over breakfast about whisky (I like this man) and now setting off into town.

Alena gave me the number of her friend who wants to meet me and practice her English. I like it here. Makes me feel all the more sad that I the trip is coming to an end soon. Today the temperature is about 1 or 2°C. If it’s like this in Moscow I will be a happy bunny. Wandered down the pedestrian only Ul. Pokrovskaya which has lots of cool looking bars and cafes along it and some random statues too. Headed into the Kremlin which has a real mix of buildings – though mostly government and administrative I think. 



Passed about 6 weddings having their photos taken then visited the Church of Archangel Michael which was small but beautiful. Lots of classical icons – I wished I could have taken a few photos but I suppose it’s a good thing that I can’t. 

Then found the State/Fine Art museum. Had the largest collection of famous works so far but not as big as the museum in Novosibirsk. Saw some great paintings by Repin, Levitan, Rodchenko, Larionov, Kandinsky, Goncharova and Malevich. Now in a bar on Pokroskaya where they brew their own beer. Tastes pretty good. The Italian themed sausage I ordered was delicious.

Ilya Repin

I met up with Alena’s friend who wanted to chat in English for a bit. I think she’s a teacher here. Sorry to say her English wasn’t amazing. But the main problem was that she was just really boring which is a shame. Nice enough girl though – we walked around for about an hour down streets I’d already visited until I made my excuses and went home. My legs are knackered now.

Back at the flat I met Irina’s Mum (Alena’s grandma). She is a great grandmother already but seems to be completely together upstairs. I like Yuri a lot – he’s a positive guy. I’m sorry to say the family-TV-watching-session, which I was invited to partake in, wasn’t my thing at all! We watched some sickening concert by an apparently famous Italian-Canadian+something-else diva backed up by an equally famous Russian composer and full orchestra. (No idea who they were). I think it was live from a concert hall in Moscow. Imagine Celine Dion but even more smug (if that’s possible) performing a repertoire with the Russian equivalent of Andrew Lloyd Weber. I mean, I wasn’t expecting the Sex Pistols, of course, but even so. They seemed to love it though to I slapped on a fake smile and grinned through it. They kept asking me to translate the English lyrics which I politely declined to do. Even if I could have I wouldn’t have wanted to.

(c) Richard Breeson 

No comments:

Post a Comment