Sunday 18 December 2011

The diary of a traveller, entry 28. Suzdal


29 November

In a bus now on my way to Suzdal. Today I think it is about –17oC . It certainly does feel very cold. Ivan was shocked but what I wearing in quite a patronizing way I felt. Although now, in retrospect, I think he was right. The air is so cold your chest tightens as you breathe. The has to be the coldest I’ve had so far on this trip. Arrived in Suzdal and after a bit of a mix up I got a Taxi to what I think is the central square. Despite the freezing temperature it is a truly beautiful day.

As my face was starting to turn numb I sought refuge in a couple of churches but they were both padlocked shut – surely not the best example of Christian charity. Finally found a café and ordered hot chocolate to keep myself alive. Got my bearings and summoned up the will power to venture out again. Headed towards the old Kremlin and the Suzdal History museum (I had some trouble sticking my used-ticket stub from the latter intro my scrap-book as my glue has frozen).

The best building so far in this incredibly attractive town in the church opposite the History Museum. Beautifully situated on an incline close to the small, meandering river with gorgeous blue & gold painted domes. The inside of all the walls and the ceiling are covered in icons and frescoes. It’s amazing considering how many of these scenes I’ve witnessed that still just as affected by seeing a new one. Spent the rest of my time in Suzdal photographing beautiful buildings and losing feeling in my fingers.



(c) Richard Breeson

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that that you can generate cash by locking premium pages of your blog / site?
    All you need to do is open an account with AdscendMedia and run their content locking tool.

    ReplyDelete