Wednesday 4 July 2012

Diary. Trans-Siberian journal, entry 30. Moscow!


1 Dec.

Moscow! Well, not quite. About to set off from the flat and catch the train to the capital for my city-break holiday with Sam. I’m told by Evgenii that it is -25C today – WTF. I am literally scared to step out.

Made it to Vladimir station – about as ugly as they come. Before that I stopped off at the Torgovy Center and bought a pair of brown leather winter shoes with a fluffy lining. Hopefully these will achieve the dual purpose of preventing my toes from falling off with frost bite, and allowing me to gain entrance to Moscow’s exclusive clubs and bars. Somehow I think my walking boots wouldn’t go down to well with the ‘face-control’ policy.

That was tense! Made it onto the train but not without a stressful few minutes running between the platforms trying to locate the correct one! It was bloody confusing seeing as the departures board said platform 3 but the train to Moscow actually arrived on platform 2 where it stopped for all of 1 minute. Wouldn’t want to miss a train at this stage in my trip! I am now sitting opposite a rather large woman with an incredibly ugly rat of a dog. Now just need to get to Moscow, pick up the keys, located the apartment, by vodka, lemons & tomato juice, have a big old drink and wait for Sam to arrive from London.

Made it! Sam’s done well in choosing this place! Big old apartment, smartly furnished on Tverskaya St, close to Mayakovskaya metro. I went out and had a little look round our area. Bought some provisions at the local, very swanky (expensive), supermarket. It seems we are staying in quite a swish part of town. I suppose we should expect to pay 3 times as much for everything here. Moscow is certainly massive, that’s for sure.

(c) Richard Breeson,
photos are taken from Richard's archive

No comments:

Post a Comment