Tuesday 5 April 2011

The diary of a traveller, entry 1

Our dear student Richard was keen on Russia and Russian language. At last he decided to make a trip – take Trans-Siberian railway and to see almost all Russia with his own eyes, making stops in major cities of the TSR.

At the same time he was writing his impressions and we are now greatly have to introduce it to you.

So…

The diary of a traveller

1 November Vladivostok -

Up at 5am this morning to catch my plane from Seoul to Vladivostok. I liked the very little of Seoul that I saw (basically one area, Gang Nam). But I reckon I've had my fair share of massive Asian cities for the time-being. Anyway, that's Korea done. Just been dropped off by Dmitry at his apartment in Stoletija Vladivostka. Not seen much at all yet but Dmitry seems like a nice enough chap. Mid 40s, speaks good English, plays the bongos. Weather is mild and totally pleasant: was actually hot in the car on the way over here. I'm hardly staying in what could be called central Valdivostok so gonna head into town now by means of attempting to catch a bus: hopefully this won't prove to be too arduous a task. 

Success! I have succeeded in catching a bus into central Vladivostok. I did overshoot the stop on the return leg but that is easily done given how similar all the buildings on this street look. Pretty uneventful afternoon - bought a Russian sim card. Megafon, which I was advised against getting! But the whole transaction took place in Russian and basically consisted of me saying 'Да' and 'Хорошо' a lot. Hopefully my vocab will pick up a bit more beyond that over the next 40 days. On the plus side I ate my first Russian dish: Pilmeni and they were very tasty. Bus'ed it back to the flat for bread, cheese and sausage with Dmitry which was nice of him. Although I wouldn't call him a laugh-a-minute. 



more photos at RIch's profile in facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment