Saturday 16 April 2011

The diary of a traveller, entry 7

7 November

Got up quite early in order to catch the service at the cathedral. Before then though I was treated to another 'interesting' culinary experience from my host: raw bacon (not parma ham) and Japanese seaweed for breakfast. I expect I will die of food poisoning soon. Luckily lunch was a bit less concerning – my first Russian borsch.


One of the things I hate about coming to foreign countries has to be that they always seem to be playing the crappest music from relatively decent artists – in this case 'You Are Not Alone' by Michael Jackson. Of all of his back-catalogue available they end up playing the worst song. It doesn't matter who it is: Elton, Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers etc. they never play their decent stuff. Otherwise this is a fairly pleasant pub where I am currently writing. Just off the main drag. Went to the Art gallery earlier. The frosty woman behind the counter soon warmed up after I spoke some Russian to her – I have been really pleased by people's willingness to engage with you in Russian (even if you only have basic skills).There was a good collection of paintings and sculptures (and of course, old guns). Had a couple of Repin's and some icons from 15th century. And tucked away down this dark corridor was a fantastic 19th century statue of Ivan Grozny seated on his thrown and looking suitably fierce.

Oh, brilliant! They've just broken out the French rap on the juke-box. I miss my CDs.

No comments:

Post a Comment