Tuesday 5 April 2011

The diary of a traveller, entry 2

Our dear student Richard was keen on Russia and Russian language. At last he decided to make a trip – take Trans-Siberian railway and to see almost all Russia with his own eyes, making stops in major cities of the TSR.


At the same time he was writing his impressions and we are now greatly have to introduce it to you.


So…

2 November 

First full day in Vladivostok. Fairly busy day. I did the infamous visa registration - more of that anon. Got up quite early and headed into town after breakfast - Dmitry was in a hurry today. Poor guy seems to be running around all over the place. Works for a security firm head-officed in Moscow so lots of late calls I guess. I walked down Funina St. (which I think they also call Arbat) and passed the Dynamo stadium. Pretty small for a stadium. The sea-front was virtually deserted. Probably a resutl of the bitter cold. Was very pleased to have brought my hat with me as the wind was vicious today. But soon warmed up after I walked around for a bit. First stop was the Vladivostok Fortress Museum. Wasn't easy to find as it was hidden back off the main road on a hill. Walked too far to begin with and went past an intimidating looking gym that looked like the kind of place that the villain in Rocky IV would have learnt his trade. And then kept coming past this big ferris wheel that was disused and resembled that one in the mission in Call of Duty 4 where you're a sniper in post-nuclear fall out Chernobyl. Anyway it was well worth the walk as it was a nice little museum with a lot of very big guns (both modern and very ancient). It was a fortress that was originally used during the Japanese war. Although there wasn't much on that in the exhibition. There were a load of school children there on a trip and it was helpful to hear the teacher and attendant explaining things to them as it was at the speed and level of complexity that I could just about understand what they were saying.

After that I walked along Svetlanskaya st. This was a nice street and what I imagine was quite a trendy neighbourhood going off the shops and restaurants. Stopped off for lunch at a cafe a bit further on and ate a thoroughly unimpressive pizza. (I meant to go to another place that was recommended but I couldn't find it). Then went to the Funicular Railway - great views of the city from the top. It's basically like a smaller version of the Peak Tram - same gradient but about 1/5 the length. I was dissappointed by the Pacific Fleet - or lack of it I should say. Was expecting to see packs of subs and huge aircraft carriers but could only make out a few destroyers (I am guessing that's what they were). Went back to the flat to meet Dmitry for the visa registration which was a total joke. Basically consisted of cuing in a bank and then a post-office paying a fee in both. At one stage Dmitry even produced a box of chocolates as a bribe for the women in the post-office. I now have about 12 pieces of paper in my passport which I need to keep at all costs!


photos at RIch's profile in facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment