Thursday 14 April 2011

The diary of a traveller, entry 6

6 November


Went to my first my first cathedral today at the end of Ulitsa Lenina not far from the house. I attempted to draw it, in appalling fashion. Even though I am not religious I find it impossible not to be impressed by the sheer beauty of Russian orthodox churches. Quite a modern building I think but still very traditional in it's style and a large collection of icons. Missed the service but downstairs the air was still rich with the smell of incense so I can't have been far off. Watched a worshipped go up to each icon in turn and kiss the glass before crossing herself. I probably have about 100 more churches to go so I won't spend too long talking about this one. Gave some money to a babushka outside the church who subsequently went off and fed the birds. (People seem a lot more keen on pigeons over here than they are in London).
Afterwards walked down the Amur river for a nice stroll! Hard to believe that China is only on the other side of the river. Passed a few fishermen who seemed to be pretty luckless. Then followed the sounds of European dance music to a cafe I was hoping to get lunch at but it was closed for a wedding. There was a large young crowd outside who were all going at the wine and having a good old time. The groom appeared to be a good foot shorter than the bride and looked about 15yrs old. Went to another cafe on Muravieva-Amurskogo where I had a tasty blini and a beer. After this I ploughed through two museums: the Regional Museum and the War Museum. The regional museum charge 200 RUB extra for foreigners which I think is a bit cheeky – presumably they are trying to keep all knowledge of Russia's far east exclusively for Russians. Although the attendant almost thought I was Russian and was going to charge me local rates – clearly I can say “One ticket, please” without mistakes. My cover was blown though when I asked for a ticket for photos (you have to pay extra). With this privilege I took a few photos of old guns and stuffed animals and then headed off. Back at the flat for Japanese salad with Tatiana whose mother is from the Ukraine.

No comments:

Post a Comment