Wednesday 6 April 2011

The diary of a traveller, entry 3

3 November 

Doing well so far. Got the bus into town - a lot warmer today than yesterday. Just need to find somewhere where I can change my old 500 RUB note for nice crisp clean new one which people will accept (the post office didn't seem to think it was legal tender yesterday which was annoying). Success - the Arsenyev Regional Museum are evidentally not such snobs when it comes to the condition of one's bank notes. Happy to admit me to the museum and accept my old 500 RUB's and give me change too! Very nice of them. Nice museum but I preferred the Fortress Museum on the whole.

Real mix of exhibits here including a large and rather morbid collection of stuffed animals. Bears, tigers, leopards. At least 3 or 4 of each, amongst other smaller species. Interesting but to be honest I would prefer to see live versions of the real thing on TV accompanied by a soothing voice over from Sir David Attenborough. Spent a lot of the time in the museum with my nose inside my dictionary busy translating the captions - highlights were the brilliant propaganda pictures from various wars and revolutions.

Stopped in for lunch and кофе с молоком* at a nice little restaurant near the station called Nostalgia Cafe. Had two pirozhkis** - one with apple and one with meat - both very tasty! Although I reckon the place could have done without the TV showing what I guess was a Yul Brynner comedy although it was hard to tell as he appeared to have hair.

*кофе с молоком - coffee with milk
**pirozhki or пирожки - Russian style baked pies 

No comments:

Post a Comment